Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Stick it Up Your Nose!

There's something about the smell of Crayola crayons that reminds you being a kid. I can't take credit for this idea, my favorite professor from BGSU who specializes in entrepreneurship and creativity in business, Gene Poor, wrote a whole book on this topic. I remember coming into class one day and he handed us all our own crayons. When we sat down in our seats he said "Okay now I want you to break your crayon in half and STICK it up your nose." We all laughed and did it. For a minute we forgot we were serious MBA students, we were kids again, we were laughing, dreaming, careless kids with limitless possibilities and unadulterated imaginations.

What happens to us as we age? When we make our goals every year, when we plan our future, where did that kid go? Why do we make the same mediocre goals year after year. Why do we limit ourselves? We call them resolutions... I hate new years resolutions, because it has become acceptable to break them. Don't do that to yourself.  Think I wrote something similar last year in my GOALS post. Here's the deal if you want to make a real change in your life then just DO IT. Commit to your decision to change and make it happen. I cannot help you do that. That kid that you used to be knows exactly how to do this. That kid knows how to dream, she knows how to make goals like anything is possible. She doesn't care about being realistic. She doesn't care about what happened in the past. She really doesn't even care what she has to do to make it happen. Seriously ask a kid what they want to be when they grow up....its a straight forward, high energy answer and it usually is stated like a fact. Like there is no doubt in their mind that they are going to achieve that status. Get in touch with that kid, even if you have to stick a crayon up your nose to do it!

That's how I started my goal re-evaluation for this year...with a crayon up my nose. I'm a visual person so after I wrote out my goals in the correct format..."I am_____, I have____, I did______" with the dates I was going to achieve them by,  I created a visual reminder of what I wanted to accomplish this year:

Last year we had three big goals:

1. New flip house
Check
 2. Babies
Check
Check

If you followed this blog than you know we hit all of those! Be very careful on what you put out into the universe, it almost always comes true. Think about that the next time you are worrying or better yet complaining.  This year we have one major goal:

We are completely debt free by December 31st 2012. Total financial freedom.

Our gym isn't exactly a cash cow and we both don't have "traditional" jobs....we've been broke for long enough. We've learned a lot, we've grown a lot, we've been humbled and we've decided that we had enough.

Other goals of mine include: getting back to my pre-baby weight, 120lb snatch, a muscle-up, visiting my brother in San Fran, going to New York City in December and reading 6 new books.

Bring it on 2012! Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment